SYDNEY GAY AND LESBIAN MARDI GRAS LIMITED
ACN 102 451 785
NOTICE OF 2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Notice is given to members of Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Limited (Company) that the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held at
The University of Sydney
ABS Building, Auditorium (B2010)
Corner of Abercrombie and Codrington Street Darlington NSW 2008
The meeting will commence 11:00am sharp on Saturday, 30 November 2019. To allow time for registration please arrive 10.15am.
ITEMS OF BUSINESS
To receive and consider the Financial Report, the Directors’ Report and the Independent Auditor’s Report for the year ended 30 June 2019.
- Financial Statements
The 2019 Annual Report for the Company will be available to download as a PDF prior to the AGM.
The election of directors will be conducted via secret ballot in accordance with the Company’s Constitution. Electronic and pre-poll voting instructions will be announced shortly.
- Election of Directors
Director nominations have closed. This year’s candidates in order of ballot are:
Candidates’ statements are available to view here.
In accordance with clause 3.4 of the Company’s constitution, the Board has proposed that the Members consider and, if thought fit, pass the following as an ordinary resolution:
- Life Membership
“That the persons contained in the attached document titled '78er Members for Life Membership 2019' be granted life membership in the Company, noting that upon approval of the Members that these persons shall be entered on the Register as life members and shall not be required to pay membership fees in accordance with the Company’s constitution.”
That the Members confirm the minutes of the following meetings of Members as a true and correct record:
- Minutes of Previous Meetings
These minutes will be made available to Members prior to the AGM.
- 2018 Annual General Meeting (AGM) held on 27 October 2018
Five submissions were validly received by Members for consideration at the AGM. The resolutions will be decided on a show of hands at the AGM (unless a poll is requested). The following motions are by ordinary resolution unless specified otherwise.
- Items of business requested by Members
An Explanatory Memorandum containing the Member’s statement in support of the motions, together with the Board’s assessment of the arguments for and against the motions, will be issued to Members shortly.
5A. Motions proposed by Toby Walmsley
Proposed by: Toby Walmsley
Seconded by: Ishtiaq Rahman
Reduction in the price of Mardi Gras Membership
This meeting recommends that the Board:
- Create a concession, student or unwaged membership tier priced at $10 with voting rights but without consumer benefits of current membership.
- Return the Australian resident membership price from $50 to $20 so more people can join and increase membership.
5B. Motions proposed by Evan Gray
Proposed by: Evan Gray
Seconded by: Imogen Grant
Disinvitation of Scott Morrison
This meeting recommends to the Board that:
- Scott Morrison and his government should not be promoted at our parade or any Mardi Gras event.
- Scott Morrison be formally disinvited from attending any Mardi Gras events in 2020
5C. Motions proposed by Bridget Harilaou
Proposed by: Bridget Harilaou
Seconded by: Dave Urquart
Reviewing Corporate Sponsors of Mardi Gras on Human Rights Grounds
- This meeting recommends that the Board move to condemn 2019 Mardi Gras sponsors:
- Gilead for price gouging of PrEP in the US.
- Qantas for their role in deporting refugees back to danger
- ANZ for their role in arms deals and investment in weapons
- This meeting recommends that the Board create an ethics charter for corporate sponsorship in consultation with the community and the members.
5D. Motions proposed by Evan Gray
Proposed by: Evan Gray
Seconded by: Imogen Grant
Removal of Police Float in Mardi Gras Parade
The meeting recommends that:
- The NSW Police, the Australian Federal Police, the Police Association, and any other associated organisations be barred from having floats in the 2020 Mardi Gras Parade.
- Mardi Gras demand governments abolish the use of sniffer dogs, end Aboriginal deaths in custody, establish independent commissions to investigate police misconduct, end the use of riot squads at protests, reinstate rights to publish assembly and the right of workers to strike.
5E. Motion proposed by Ishtiaq Rahman
Proposed by: Ishtiaq Rahman
Seconded by: Bridget Harilaou
Support for the Global Climate Strike
The meeting recommends that the Board support the next Global Strike by:
- Allowing the workshop space to be used by organisers and community groups
- Allocating budget to allow the Mardi Gras's marketing and communication teams to support and promote attendance
- Encouraging members, workers and supports to attend and support the strike.
A motion of thanks to previous directors will be made.
- Other Business
The Board has determined that the members who are entitled to vote are those full members and life members shown in the Register of Members of the Company as of Friday 15 November 2019, with 4pm being the deadline for new applications to be received.
A proxy form is the ONLY manner in which you may appoint a proxy for the 2019 AGM.
Download the proxy form here.
Please note that if you do not wish to provide your proxy to an individual member, you may allocate your proxy to the Meeting Chair or the Company Secretary.
To be effective, completed proxy forms must be signed by the member and be received by the Returning Officer no later than 5.00pm on Wednesday, 27 November 2019 (3 days before the 2019 Annual General Meeting).
By post and hand delivery
The Returning Officer
Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Limited
6 / 94 Oxford Street
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The rules of the meeting include:
- Demonstration of ICARE values.
- All addresses limited to 60 seconds or less.
- Filming or audio recording of the AGM will not be allowed due to privacy concerns. All media, including individuals reporting live via social media, will be asked to identify themselves at the beginning of the meeting.
7 November 2019