Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is looking for a costume assistant to assist in the creation of this season's costuming for the 2021 Mardi Gras Parade.
This is a paid role, and will suit someone that celebrates and embodies the Mardi Gras values – the reason we’re here! Mardi Gras is one of the oldest continuously operating LGBTQI+ organisations in Australia. Mardi Gras was built on the foundations laid by early community activists who fought for LGBTQI+ rights in a time of widespread, institutionalised oppression and discrimination. From these origins, SGLMG has evolved to include a strong focus on celebration while maintaining a commitment to social justice for LGBTQI+ communities. Our vision is to be a global leader in the promotion of diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice through culture, creativity and partnerships.
We’re looking for people with the following skills:
- Tertiary qualifications in costume and/or fashion
- Experience in professional costume making for theatre, film, television, events and/or the entertainment industry
- The ability to follow designs and produce costumes under the direction of the Head of Costume Department and Workshop Production Manager
- Construction, fitting and styling
- Garment maintenance, repair and alterations
- Industrial and domestic sewing machine and overlocking
- Pattern making and fabric cutting
- Appling embellishments and decoration
- Costume fitting, styling and dressing
- Excellent attention to detail and material knowledge
- Commitment and understanding of WH & S
- A highly creative person who enjoys working collaboratively, and being part of a team
- Great communication skills with the ability to work in a busy environment, while producing seamless results
- You must be physically fit with the ability to bend, stretch, move and carry materials, and use ladders
You must have:
- An ABN
- Your own Public Liability
- Preferred Superannuation Fund
To submit your interest, your EOI must outline your professional practice and appropriate experience for consideration, including examples within the following documentation:
- Cover letter outlining your professional practice and experience
- Up to 5 images of previous work examples with supporting information
- Up to 2 professional references
Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com with the reference SGLMG Workshop Costume Contractor 2021
SGLMG is an equal opportunity employer and encourages expressions of interest from all qualified candidates especially those with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Applications open: from 1 February 2020. We are looking to fill this position immediately.
Position Duration: Immediate start, until 7 March 2021.