Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras was established on the values of acceptance and inclusion. We work towards the right for all to experience and enjoy our much-loved Parade. We are dedicated to making it an accessible and inclusive event for all visitors.
The safety of our community, spectators, parade participants, staff and volunteers are our highest priority and is at the forefront of all our planning. A number of operational changes have been made to ensure your safety. The Parade continues to be the significant platform for us to come together and shine a global spotlight on LGBTQI+ lives, culture, communities and creativity.
Please click the below text boxes to expand them for more information on 2021 Parade access and inclusion. For general Parade information, please visit here.
- Major changes to note for 2021
Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic and the restrictions under current health orders, the following changes will be in place for the 2021 Parade:
• The Parade will be a ticketed event for spectators, held at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) in Moore Park, and broadcast by SBS.
- • Parade participant numbers will be reduced, with Parade participants capped at a maximum of 5,000 people
- • Parade groups will be no more than 40 persons each. This will allow for as any many groups as possible to participate
- • No vehicles can be used as part of any floats. SGLMG encourages participants to think big with their costumes, props, flags, inflatables, signs and pushable elements.
- COVID-19 Safety Protocols
A series of COVID-19 Safety Protocols will be in place which all spectators must comply with. These include:
During your seat booking registration, you must register names and contact details for all ticketholders to allow for contact tracing.
- ID checks will occur prior to entry. Ticketholder names must match valid ID.
Maintain physical distancing at all times:
- 1.5 metres distance from other people and whilst queuing.
- Remain in your allocated seat as identified on your ticket/row
- You can sit next to anyone within your ticketed group booking.
- You must keep a two (2) seat gap between your group and other groups.
Practice good hygiene by using hand sanitisers provided upon entry and washing hands.
Arrive to the SCG venue via the designated entry gate at the arrival time as identified on your ticket or sent to you via email from our ticketing agent.
Follow directions of the COVID Marshalls onsite who will ensure all patrons are COVID safe and compliant.
Bag searches will occur prior to entry. We encourage you to minimise the number and size of bags that you bring for a more seamless entry. Bags must not be larger than A3-size (297mm x 420mm). There will not be a cloakroom available.
Symptom screenings and temperature checks will occur prior to entry. In any of the instances below, please stay home:
- If you are feeling unwell or have flu-like symptoms
- If you have been in contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- If you have been to a known hotspot in the last 14 days
- If you have been in quarantine in the last 14 days
We encourage all patrons attending the Parade to download and activate the Federal Government’s COVIDSafe app. Refer to these download links for IOS or Android devices: App Store Google Play
- Access and Inclusion Viewing
We have worked closely with Sydney Cricket Ground to ensure that our Parade is accessible for our spectators. Please note the following:
- Entry gates into the stadium are accessible for people who use wheelchairs.
- Ramps and lifts are used within the stadium to provide safe access for wheelchair or mobility impaired visitors.
- Wheelchair-accessible seating and toilet amenities are available. All food and beverage outlets in the following stands have wheelchair-accessible height counters: Noble, Don Bradman, Bill O’Reilly and Victor Trumper Stands. Please note that only some of the F&B outlets in the Brewongle and Churchill Stands are wheelchair accessible.
- Types of seating available:
Wheelchair-accessible: There are numerous seats for wheelchair users with flexible seating nearby for companions, carers or guests. Each wheelchair-accessible space is approximately 900mm wide. Please ensure that your powered wheelchair is fully charged as there are no charging points available onsite.
Easy Access: There are numerous seats located in specific areas of the stadium that allow that enable mobility impaired spectators with easy access (limited steps). Flexible seating nearby for companions, carers or guests is available.
- All stadium seating is tiered and offers an unobstructed view of the field where the Parade will be held.
- There are two large video screens for close-up vision of the Parade and all public information messages. These screens are visible from all stadium seating.
- AUSLAN interpretation will be visible on the video screens for live speeches or performances.
- Hearing loops are not available.
- Majority of toilet amenities across the venue have tactile Braille signs. Please note that the Brewongle and Churchill Stands do not have tactile Braille signs.
- Assistance animals are welcome. Please bring and present a copy of your assistance animal permit (if you have one) upon arrival to expedite your entry into the venue.
- How to book Accessible seats
People with access and inclusion requirements can receive one (1) free ticket with each ticket purchased. Each transaction is limited to a maximum of 8 tickets (i.e. 4 purchased, 4 free).
Ticket pricing below:
• $15 (plus booking fee) per ticket • $50 (plus booking fee) for 4 tickets
Please follow the steps below to submit a request via Ticketek to book your accessible seats:
1. Visit the Ticketek website by clicking here or call 1300 665 915 Ticketek's Accessible Seating booking line (Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm AEST)
- 2. Complete the online webform or advise the Ticketek phone operator with below details:
- Your contact details, accessibility requirements and seating type requested. Please include references to your companion card or assistance animal permits, if applicable.
- Event Name: 2021 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade
- Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground
- Date of Event: 6 March 2021
3. If you have submitted your request online through the webform, a representative from Ticketek will contact you shortly to process your booking transaction and issue your tickets.
4. If you do not receive contact from Ticketek within 10 business days, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9383 0900.
BOOK YOUR ACCESSIBLE SEATS HERE
- TRAVELLING TO AND FROM THE VENUE – SYDNEY CRICKET GROUND (SCG)
Sydney Cricket Ground, Driver Ave, Moore Park NSW 2021
Parking is available at the Wilson Carpark at the Entertainment Quarter (EQ) in Moore Park. Please visit their website for parking rates, operating hours and to book a parking space. Parking is available on the ground floor for the mobility impaired.
Private Cars – Drop Off and Pick Up:
Private cars will be able to utilise Errol Flynn Boulevard as a drop off and pick up zone.
If you use public transport, SGLMG recommends that you wear a face mask on all public transport services.
Light Rail: Catch a light rail service to Moore Park on the new L2 Randwick Line. From Central Railway Station, light rail services leave via Chalmers Street. The Moore Park Light Rail stop is located on Anzac Parade and is a 300 metres distance (approximately 3-minute walk on a flat surface) from the SCG.
Buses: Catch a Sydney Buses service to the bus stop located on the bus loop next to Tramway Oval. This is approximately 100 metres away (approximately 1-minute walk on a flat surface) from the SCG.
Trains: From Central Railway Station’s exit at Devonshire Street, it takes approximately 25 minutes to walk to the SCG. Travel down Devonshire Street until South Dowling Street, cross the road into Moore Park, and continue on the footpath to reach the Albert “Tibby” Cotter Bridge, which will then lead you to Driver Avenue near SCG. This route includes steep inclines.
Taxis/Ride Share: If you must use taxis/ride shares, please ensure that you wear a face mask.
Taxis and ride share cars will be able to pick up and drop off at the existing permanent taxi rank located in the Entertainment Quarter on Errol Flynn Boulevard opposite the Hordern Pavilion.
Please contact the Mardi Gras team if you have any questions about Parade access and inclusion via:
Phone: (02) 9383 0900 – available Monday to Friday between 10am – 6pm AEST
For those who are deaf or have hearing/speech impairments, Mardi Gras is happy to receive phone calls via the National Relay Service.
If you would like to book accessible seats, please contact Ticketek directly via:
Submit a request online: Complete the Accessible Seating booking form
Phone: 1300 665 915 – available Monday to Friday between 9am – 5pm AEST