TRAVELLING TO AND FROM THE PARADE – ACCESSIBLE SERVICES
PARADE ROUTE MAP
Download our Parade Route Map for more information on public transport hubs and the Mardi Gras accessible transfer service locations.
PUBLIC TRANSPORT INFORMATION
Major road closures will be in place for the Sydney Mardi Gras Parade. Spectators are strongly encouraged to leave the car at home and take public transport.
With very large crowds expected, extra trains and buses will be running. Services will be very busy, so please plan your journey before the event and allow plenty of extra travel time to make the most of your night.
Telephone contacts for Transport NSW Info:
- Main Phone: 131 500
- Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS): 131 450
- Teletypewriter (TTY) Service: 1800 637 500
The Transport NSW website features trip planners with maps and journey details, including information on accessible travel on public transport.
Website links for Transport NSW:
- If you are travelling by train, please check that the arrival and departure stations have facilities that meet your access needs.
- All patrons who register to the Accessible Viewing Area must alight the train at Central Train Station in 2020. From Central Station you will then be able to transfer to alternate public transport services or the free Mardi Gras accessible shuttle bus service. More details on the Mardi Gras accessible transfer services below.
- We remind you that Museum Station will be closed from 5pm on Saturday 29 February until 4am on Sunday 1 March.
- Mardi Gras recommends any patrons travelling by bus to alight at Central Train Station. From Central Station you will then be able to transfer to alternate public transport services or the free Mardi Gras accessible shuttle bus service. More details on the Mardi Gras accessible transfer services below.
- From 3pm, extra buses will run into the city from the northern beaches, the north shore, the inner west and the eastern suburbs. More details on these services will be available on the Transport NSW website.
- After the Parade, extra bus services will run on major routes out of the city until 3am.
- Some buses will be diverting from their regular routes due to major road closures which begin from 3pm.
Accessible Taxis & Drop-Off Zone
- The large crowds and road closures around the Parade footprint can make it challenging for taxis to safely drop-off and pick-up passengers in certain areas of the City, particularly around Darlinghurst and Surry Hills. An accessible taxi drop-off and pick-up zone will be available on the corner of Albion and Bourke Streets, Surry Hills.
- Taxi companies will not be able to take booking requests for pick-up in areas where there are road closures.
- Wheelchair Accessible Taxi (WAT) bookings can be made via Zero200. Bookings must be made prior to the Mardi Gras Parade night through Zero200.
MARDI GRAS ACCESSIBLE TRANSFER SERVICES
Mardi Gras provides various accessible transfer services to assist guests in accessing their viewing area. These services include:
- Shuttle Bus Service from Central Train Station to close proximity of the Accessible Viewing Area
- Accessible Buggy Service – to assist with travelling from the Shuttle Bus drop-off to the Accessible Viewing Area
These services are available to:
- Registered guests to the Parade Accessible Viewing Area
- Diamond Club ticketholders with accessibility needs
- Parade Sideshow ticketholders with accessibility needs
If you are interested in using any of these services, you must identify this when you register for our Parade accessible viewing area by 5pm, Monday 10 February 2020. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us between 10am to 6pm weekdays on (02) 9383 0900 if you have any questions or require assistance.
Accessible Shuttle Bus Service
- A complimentary shuttle bus service will be available to registered guests of the Parade accessible viewing area, and ticketholders of Diamond Club and Parade Sideshow with accessible needs.
- The shuttle bus service works on a rotating loop. All buses are wheelchair accessible, and drivers will be able to assist passengers with getting on and off the bus.
- The shuttle bus stop locations are identified on the Parade Route Map.
- The table below details the shuttle bus operating times along with pick up and drop off locations.
- Please note that we recommend use of the 9:30pm shuttle bus for high-needs access guests if they choose to leave the Parade early and try to avoid the large crowd when the Parade finishes.
Accessible Buggy Service
- A complimentary buggy service will be available to transfer accessible guests of the Parade accessible viewing area, and accessible ticketholders of Diamond Club and Parade Sideshow.
- The buggy service will transfer guests between the corner of Bourke and Albion Streets to the accessible viewing area entry gate at Linden Lane. This gate is 50 metres distance from the accessible viewing area located on Flinders Street.
- Priority to this service will be given to high-needs access guests upon arrival.
- There will be two buggy carts operating on a rotating loop. This will be wheelchair accessible.