- Why volunteer with Mardi Gras?
- Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras offers you the opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills, share and contribute to the organisation, learn about our communities and have a great time. At the same time, we offer free festival merchandise, invitations to social events and functions, your chance to be recognised in the annual Mardi Gras Awards, discounted and complimentary tickets to our events, and products and services offered by sponsors occasionally.
- What can I do to help?
- Volunteer opportunities are wide-ranging and varied from event operations to information technology to human resources and logistics. Make sure you check this website regularly for current volunteering opportunities available for you.
- Do I need experience to volunteer?
- You may need experience for some volunteer opportunities, while for others we’ll provide all the training that you’ll need. Make sure you read the position details carefully before applying to make sure you’ll be right for the role.
- How old do I need to be to volunteer?
- You need to be 16 years or older to volunteer with Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.
- What happens after I apply?
If you've applied for a volunteer opportunity, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know your shift times and any required breifings that you will need to attend. As each event gets closer, you will also recieve any additional information you may need including volunteer handbooks, briefing information and volunteer t-shirt distribution details.
We always strive to offer every volunteer the role they have requested, though this is not always possible. In such cases, we will contact you and discuss other opportunities that are available, or becoming available.
If you’ve expressed interest in a skilled volunteer or leadership position, you will go through a selection process that reflects the level of responsibility for the position you are interested in. Skilled volunteer or leadership positions have considerable impact on the organisation, its people, operations and/or events. If you meet the criteria of a position, you’ll be contacted to take part in an interview. The successful applicant will be formally offered a volunteer position for a fixed term.
- I’m from overseas, can I still volunteer?
- Generally, most Australian Visas will allow you to take part in unpaid community based work. Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is a not-for-profit community organisation, so you won’t be breaking the terms of your Visa by volunteering for us. Of course, if you’re unsure about your Visa requirements, check with your Consulate or the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- What kind of training will I get?
- All event volunteers take part in an online or face to face event briefing prior to their event for WHS induction purposes and to receive final event information. Skilled and leadership volunteers may need further training around the specifics of their roles within the organisation.
- I heard you can get free tickets to events, is this true?
- Mardi Gras has a ticketing and benefits policy for volunteers as a form of reward and recognition for their contribution to the organisation. Volunteer benefits include heavily discounted tickets to our main events. Once you register as a volunteer you will receive information about your volunteer ticketing benefits.
- What if I’m not LGBTQI, can I still volunteer?
- Yes! Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is committed to building an organisation that represents the diversity of our communities. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Our commitment to diversity means that we are an organisation that embraces difference. At the same time, Mardi Gras strives to create a workplace where all employees and volunteers enjoy an environment free from all forms of discrimination, intimidation or harassment, including sexual harassment.
- Do I get covered if I get injured even though I'm a volunteer?
- Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras covers all of its volunteers for personal accident or injury and liability while they are performing their duties at one of our events or our office or workshop. We are committed to providing a safe workplace to our staff and volunteers in accordance with workplace health and safety legislation.
- What if I volunteer for other organisations?
- Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras fully supports your commitment to any other passion and interest. However, we do ask that your commitment to other organisations doesn't impact the time commitments required of your Mardi Gras role.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for here you can always contact us, or call 02 9383 0900.